CBSMiami (CBSMiami) – A former Miami Beach police officer convicted of reckless driving last month for crashing his department-issued ATV and seriously injuring two people will remain in jail while awaiting sentencing.
On Tuesday, Miami Dade Circuit Court Judge Marisa Tinkler-Mendez denied bond for Derick Kuilan, 33, who will be sentenced on July 10th at 9 a.m. The decision disappointed Kuilan, his family and friends.
Tinkler-Mendez announced that he’s facing up to five years in a state prison.
The judge announced that he faces up to 5 years state prison.
Kuilan and another officer were photographed at a bachelorette party July 4th, 2009, at the Clevelander Hotel before he went for a joyride on the ATV with 28-year old bride to be Adalee Martin. Driving on the sand on South Beach, Kuilan slammed into Luis Almonte and Kitzie Nicanor.
Almonte had to have a titanium rod surgically implanted in his right leg and clamps in his hip.
Nicanor underwent multiple surgeries, which left her with metal plates in her leg. The accident also caused her to have her spleen removed and suffer permanent brain injury. Nicanor says she still can’t work as a result of the brain damage she sustained.
Click here to watch the report.
- Pit Bull With Broken Leg In Dire Need Of Adoption
- CBS4 Exclusive: Police Catch Teen Accused In Fatal Hit & Run After He Failed To Turn Self In
- Death Investigations In Miami & Collier Co. Appear To Be Triple Murder Suicide
- Boaters Spot Massive Whale Shark Off Miami Beach
- Trump Cheating Claims Roundly Refuted