KEY WEST (CBSMiami/AP) – The U.S. Coast Guard 7th District in Key West has received its new fast response cutter.
The Raymond Evans, a 154 foot patrol craft, is the 10th vessel in the Coast Guard’s Sentinel-class fast-response cutter program.
The Coast Guard took delivery on June 25. The vessel is expected to be commissioned in September.
Each fast-response cutter is named for Coast Guard personnel who distinguished themselves in the line of duty.
The new cutter is named for Cmdr. Raymond Evans, who was part of a rescue team that saved a group of Marines during fighting on the Pacific island of Guadalcanal in 1942. Evans, an apprentice seaman at the time, was awarded the Navy Cross.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Trump: ‘Tremendously Confident We’re Going To Win In Florida’
- Hillary Clinton ‘Not Taking Anything For Granted’ In Florida
- Thousands Of Middle School Students March With Police To End Gun Violence In Miami
- Hopes High For Passage Of Medical Marijuana Amendment
- Feds, Florida Lottery Warn Of Mega Millions Scam