SWEETWATER (CBSMiami) — A Sweetwater officer’s gun went off while trying to apprehend shoplifting subjects at the Dolphin Mall Sunday.
According to police, four men were reported shoplifting at the Burlington Coat Factory and when approached about the stolen property, they took off through the mall.
As the men took off, they exited the mall and Sweetwater officers assigned to the mall attempted to chase them.
Two Sweetwater officers caught up with a suspect named Darius Brown, 18. While trying to arrest the man, one of the officer’s guns discharged inside of its holster.
The officer was injured and taken to Kendall Regional Medical Center in good condition.
Brown was arrested and charged with felony theft, robbery and resisting without violence.
Miami-Dade Police will assist with the investigation. The remaining subjects got away. If you have any information contact Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.
- Clinton VP Pick Tim Kaine Talks Early Voting At FIU
- Clinton Looks Beyond Trump As Election Nears
- Trump Campaigns In Must-Win Florida, Clinton Focuses On New Hampshire
- Dive Teams Recover Body Of Missing Tampa Boater
- Voters Take Advantage Of Early Voting In Dade, Broward