Officer’s Gun Discharges While Taking Down Alleged Shoplifter
South Florida Crime
SWEETWATER (CBSMiami) — A Sweetwater officer’s gun went off while trying to apprehend shoplifting subjects at the Dolphin Mall Sunday.
According to police, four men were reported shoplifting at the Burlington Coat Factory and when approached about the stolen property, they took off through the mall.
As the men took off, they exited the mall and Sweetwater officers assigned to the mall attempted to chase them.
Two Sweetwater officers caught up with a suspect named Darius Brown, 18. While trying to arrest the man, one of the officer’s guns discharged inside of its holster.
The officer was injured and taken to Kendall Regional Medical Center in good condition.
Brown was arrested and charged with felony theft, robbery and resisting without violence.
Miami-Dade Police will assist with the investigation. The remaining subjects got away. If you have any information contact Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.
- Woman In Florida ‘Stand Your Ground’ Case Released From Jail
- American Express Says It Will Start Working In Cuba
- Scott Announces Billions To Restore the Everglades
- Divers Back At Sunrise Canal In Search Of Clues In 1978 Case
- Judge To Rule On Resentencing For Teen Rapist, Murderer