Fans Hit By Foul Ball At Marlins Game
MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — The Athletics-Marlins game was halted for a short 10-minute delay after two fans were hit in the face by foul balls.
A line drive off the bat of Oakland’s Nick Punto struck a young woman sitting in the first row along the right-field line, and then hit a man nearby.
The woman was conscious when she was placed in a wheelchair on the field and taken along the warning track to an exit in the right-field corner. She was taken to a hospital for evaluation, the Marlins said.
The man received treatment at the ballpark and was released.
“Marlins Park was a dangerous place today,” Miami manager Mike Redmond said. “I saw the girl get hit square on. She had no idea it was coming. I think she just turned at the last second.”
Punto said his foul skipped off the railing along the front of the stands before hitting the woman.
“It’s very unfortunate,” he said. “I hope she’s doing OK. I’ll be reaching out.”
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Stanton Hits Monster Home Run In Marlins Win Over St. Louis
- Top Reasons Why South Florida Is A Great Sports Region
- Marlins’ Cosart Says MLB Reviewing His Twitter Account
- Marlins Stolen-Base Champ Dee Gordon Teams With Blechman Foundation to “Dee-Feat” Parkinson’s
- Cabrera Makes Debut At 1B, Does Well As Tigers Beat Marlins