MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wants to know how you feel about adding five types of giant snakes to an existing federal python ban.
Officials have proposed adding boa constrictors, reticulated pythons and three species of anacondas to the ban that already prohibits anyone from importing Burmese pythons, yellow anacondas and northern and southern African pythons into the U.S. or transporting them across state lines.
Comments may be Here through July 24th. The docket number is FWS-R9-FHC-2008-0015.
The North Carolina-based United States Association of Reptile Keepers has sued the federal government to overturn the ban, saying an initial proposal to ban all nine snake species cost its members tens of millions of dollars.
Attorneys for the wildlife service and Interior Secretary Sally Jewell have asked a judge to dismiss the lawsuit.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Depp’s ‘Alice’ Bombs At Box Office, Daughter Defends Him After Abuse Allegations
- Patient Claims Self-Defense In Death Of Hospital Roommate
- NORC Poll: High Interest, Low Excitement In White House Race
- Marlins Get First Victory Over Braves, Avoid Sweep
- Police: Man Kills Girlfriend, Himself In Kendale Lakes Home