DANIA BEACH (CBSMiami) – One worker has died after falling into a 20 to 23 foot hole at a construction site.
A road construction worker fell into the hole near I-95 southbound at the Hallandale Beach on-ramp Friday afternoon.
According to BSO the man was not working in the hole but he was standing on piece of machinery. He jumped off into the edge of the trench and the trench gave way. The worker collapsed and fell 12 feet. He was covered in about a foot and a half of dirt.
Other workers tried to help when the man fell but weren’t able to reach him.
BSO Fire responded within 15 minutes and declared the worker deceased.
The construction is part of the 95 Express, an area where excavation for drainage is being done, according to Florida Department of Transportation.
Robin Kelm, who works closeby, said, “I’ve seen them in all kinds of weather. I was afraid something like this would happen and it did.”
BSO tweeted Friday afternoon that a Fire Rescue Technical Rescue Team is on-scene, trying to get the man out. An hour later, a tweet was sent out that read, “Trench secured, recovery operation commencing.”
- Man Wanted For Getting Into Scuffle With Deputy At BurgerFi
- Ransomware Attack Hits Computers Worldwide: $300 Demanded To Decrypt
- Construction Worker Killed, Another Hospitalized After Being Hit By Lightning
- $500K Bond For Man Accused Of Threatening Lawmaker On Facebook
- Civilians, Officers Honored For Acts Of Bravery, Lifesaving Efforts At MDPD Award Ceremony