DANIA BEACH (CBSMiami) – One worker has died after falling into a 20 to 23 foot hole at a construction site.
A road construction worker fell into the hole near I-95 southbound at the Hallandale Beach on-ramp Friday afternoon.
According to BSO the man was not working in the hole but he was standing on piece of machinery. He jumped off into the edge of the trench and the trench gave way. The worker collapsed and fell 12 feet. He was covered in about a foot and a half of dirt.
Other workers tried to help when the man fell but weren’t able to reach him.
BSO Fire responded within 15 minutes and declared the worker deceased.
The construction is part of the 95 Express, an area where excavation for drainage is being done, according to Florida Department of Transportation.
Robin Kelm, who works closeby, said, “I’ve seen them in all kinds of weather. I was afraid something like this would happen and it did.”
BSO tweeted Friday afternoon that a Fire Rescue Technical Rescue Team is on-scene, trying to get the man out. An hour later, a tweet was sent out that read, “Trench secured, recovery operation commencing.”
- Woman Stabbed By Husband In Babies R Us Parking Lot
- Night Of Glitz & Glam As Trump Hosts First State Dinner As President
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission Convenes
- Federal Judge Orders Reopening Of DACA, After 90-Day Delay
- Plans Announced For Project That Would Connect Sawgrass Expressway To I-95