US Advances To Knockout Stage In World Cup
RECIFE, Brazil (AP)– Thomas Mueller scored his fourth goal of the World Cup on Friday as Germany defeated the United States 1-0 to win Group G ahead of the Americans, who also advanced to the knockout stage of the World Cup despite losing.
With two wins and a draw, Germany topped the group with seven points, while the U.S. progressed with four. Portugal beat Ghana 2-1 but both were eliminated.
Mueller scored in the 55th minute with a side-footed shot from the edge of the area as tropical downpours drenched the Arena Pernambuco.
Both teams knew before kickoff that a draw would see them through, but neither held back. The game pitted Germany coach Joachim Loew against his good friend and predecessor Juergen Klinsmann, now in charge of the U.S. team.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- WQAM’s Miami Hurricanes 2015 NFL Draft Game
- Cishek Serves Up 3-Run Homer To Murphy, Mets Beat Marlins 3-1
- CBS Local Sports: Paulie Malignaggi To Brown And Troupe: “Mayweather Probably Going To Dominate”
- Marlins Designate Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia For Assignment
- 5 Biggest Storylines Of The 2015 NFL Draft