LUTZ (CBSMiami/AP) — A central Florida teen is accused of killing his elderly grandmother in her home at a nudist colony and then driving around with her dead body in a minivan for nearly five yours.
Brandon Machetto, 18, had been living with his grandmother, 74-year-old Sylvia Schmitt, for the past several weeks at the Paradise Lakes nudist community and they apparently fought frequently, said Pasco County sheriff’s spokeswoman Melanie Snow.
A neighbor called 9-1-1 after seeing Machetto drag a wrapped bag with feet dangling out into his grandmother’s minivan early Monday, according to the sheriff’s office.
Machetto allegedly drove around with his grandmother’s body in the back and when deputies tried to pull him over, he reportedly refused to stop. He eventually drove back to the Paradise Lakes where he was arrested.
Machetto was charged with first-degree murder and is being held in jail without bond.
Ronnie Hall, Machetto’s martial arts instructor for seven years, said Machetto nearly died a few years ago when he was attacked by a group of teens who hit him in the back of the head with a rock, according to the Tampa Bay Times. He added that Machetto, who had suffered a brain injury, was not aggressive.
The frequent fights between Machetto and his grandmother were over her trying to get him to take his medication. Deputies said Machetto had been accused of domestic violence against Schmitt in 2012, but she dropped the charge.
- Arrest Made In Dairy Farm Abuse Case As Sheriff Takes Swipe At Activist Who Exposed Case
- Police: Man Claiming To Be HIV Positive Sneaks Ont Airport Runway, Spits On Arresting Officer
- Loved Ones Gather To Mourn Loss Of High School Basketball Star Killed In Overtown
- Gwen Graham Joins Battle For Governorship
- Derek Jeter & The Marlins Step Up To The Plate For Thanksgiving