DAVIE (CBSMiami) – Davie police have identified the man who died Monday afternoon after he fell into a wood chipper.
Davie police said the victim was 42-year-old Hernan Gutierrez. No other details about him were released.
The horrific accident took place along Southwest 57th Street just east of Pine Island Road.
It’s not known how Gutierrez fell into the machinery but the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, was on the scene for a few hours Monday to launch its investigation.
Watch Lauren Pastrana’s report, click here.
Joseph Horta lives at the home directly in front of where the accident took place.
“You hear about this stuff in the movies, but then all of the sudden it happens right outside your door step,” Horta told CBS4’s Lauren Pastrana. “All the sudden I hear all these sirens and I look outside and I see some piles of blood. It was horrifying.”
“I’ve never seen anything like this. This is a gruesome scene,” Davie Police Capt. Dale Engle said. “This isn’t something you see every day. This isn’t something you can just go home and forget about.”
Police said two fellow workers were in the area when the accident happened. One man saw everything and ran to a nearby home for help.
Capt. Engle said counselors are available to officers to help them cope with the disturbing scene.
- “Bellissima” Exhibition Highlights Italy’s Creativity, High Fashion & Art
- UM Students Use Advertising To Support Local Charity Groups
- Sunrise Man Arrested For Exposing Himself To Kids At Playground
- Zika Concerns Has Broward Mosquito Control Scrambling
- Miami Filmmaker Urges Fans To Report Police Union Pres. For Cyber-Bullying