MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A man found guilty of killing three of his friends in a drag race was sentenced Monday.
Alberto De Jesus Coteron Oliva was sentenced to 15-years in prison followed by 15-years-probation.
He also had his license revoked and a lifetime ban on driving, he must perform 500 community service hours at the Medical Examiner’s office and every anniversary after he’s released on probation he will spend three nights in jail on August 20th (the night of the incident) — three days for each life lost.
Father of Daniel Cardenas, one of the people killed, expressed his anger at the sentence and in Spanish told reporters in the hallway: “My son is in the ground. He got away with it.”
A jury convicted Alberto De Jesus Coteron Oliva of three counts of vehicular homicide and one count of leaving the scene of a fatal accident in April.
De Jesus Coteron Oliva was 19 at the time of the crash in 2011.
He was at the wheel of a Honda Civic and involved in an impromptu drag race on Northwest 12th Street in Doral on the night of August 20th.
Oliva lost control of the car which careened at a high rate of a speed into a concrete utility pole, splitting in two.
Oliva’s friends, 17-year old Veronica Santiago and-17-year-old Daniel Cardenas were killed, as was Oliva’s girlfriend 15-year-old Isis Jimenez.
The young people had been hanging out at the Dolphin Mall before the accident. Following the crash, Oliva ran from the scene, but later turned himself in.
- Family Who Took In Confessed School Shooter Says There Were No Warning Signs
- Student Activists Head To Tallahassee With The Message “Never Again”
- Mentoring Matters: Baseball Legend A-Rod Teaches Real Estate To Next Generation
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School To Resume Classes On February 27th
- ‘NRA Is Not Okay’: Students Taking ‘Never Again’ Movement To Washington