TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — Charlie Crist is not going to visit Cuba this summer as he originally planned
In a statement released Monday, Crist’s campaign spokesperson Brendan Gilfillan wrote, “Despite his stark disagreements with the government in Cuba, the governor continues to believe the embargo hasn’t worked for the Cuban people and is bad for Florida’s economy. If at some point after the election there is an opportunity to travel there to learn from the people of Cuba and help find opportunities for Florida businesses the governor will go.”
Crist, the Democratic candidate for Florida governor, said earlier this year that the United States should scrap the 52-year-old embargo with the communist-run island. He also said he planned on visiting Cuba on a fact-finding trip.
The Crist campaign statement also said he plans to try and learn from the people of Cuba and help find opportunities for Florida businesses.
“Between now and November, Governor Crist is determined to spend as much time as possible meeting with Floridians to discuss creating a stronger economy for our middle class families. The future of our state and our people deserve nothing less.”
Crist supported the Cuban embargo back when he was a Republican.
But he has changed his stance now that he is running as a Democrat against incumbent Gov. Rick Scott.
Scott criticized Crist for saying he planned to visit the island and said it would help the Castro dictatorship.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Trump’s Immigration Policy Comes Under Fire
- DHS Secretary Nielsen Denies Family Separation Amounts To ‘Child Abuse’
- Senate Judiciary Committee Questions FBI Director Chris Wray On Clinton Email Report
- Local Congresswoman On Immigration: ‘I’ve Never Seen A Policy More Vile, More Revolting’
- Trump Announces Plan For Pentagon To Create New ‘Space Force’