FORTALEZA, BRAZIL (AP) – Ghana held Germany to a 2-2 draw on Saturday despite veteran striker Miroslav Klose coming on as a substitute to tie the World Cup scoring record with the equalizer in their Group G match.
Klose now has 15 career World Cup goals, equaling the mark set by former Brazil star Ronaldo.
Klose scored the equalizer in the 71st less than two minutes after coming on, when a corner by Toni Kroos was flicked to the far post by Benedikt Hoewedes and the striker slid in to knock the ball into the roof of the net.
Mario Goetze had put Germany ahead in the 51st, but Ghana equalized three minutes later through Andre Ayew.
Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan then put the Africans ahead in the 63rd, only to see Klose cancel out his goal.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Andre Branch: “I Don’t Want To Let Any Of My Teammates Down”
- HCK Guests vs. Callers Tournament – Round Two Voting
- Tallon On Panthers’ Struggles: “I’m Puzzled Trying To Figure It Out”
- 30 Players: Willson Contreras Ready To Be Cubs Starting Catcher
- Heat Look To Continue Playoff Push With Whiteside’s Status Up In The Air