MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Two missing boaters, who were reported overdue by a family member, were located north of the Dry Tortugas Thursday evening by a Coast Guard search plane out of Coast Guard Air Station Miami.
Forty year old Thomas Rota, who has U.S. citizenship, and Megan Rota, 37, a Canadian national, left Isla Mujeres, Mexico in a 63-foot white catamaran on June 9th. The were due to make a stop over in the Dry Tortugas on Friday, June 13th and arrive in Key West the following Monday.
When the couple failed to arrive by Tuesday, a family member contacted the Coast Guard 7th District Command Center in Miami to report them overdue.
In addition to launching search planes from Miami, Clearwater and Alabama, the Coast Guard issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast to ask boaters to keep an eye out for the missing couple.
- FIU Temporarily Suspends Greek Life Over ‘Growing Concerns’
- Good Samaritan Stops Would-be Burglar In His Tracks
- Police Search For Suspect After Young Boy Is Shot And Killed In Miami-Dade
- Exclusive: Rubio Votes Yes On Tax Plan But Says “We Have A Long Way To Go” On Economic Policy
- Coach Arrested In NY With Teen Booked Into Florida Jail