MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Two missing boaters, who were reported overdue by a family member, were located north of the Dry Tortugas Thursday evening by a Coast Guard search plane out of Coast Guard Air Station Miami.
Forty year old Thomas Rota, who has U.S. citizenship, and Megan Rota, 37, a Canadian national, left Isla Mujeres, Mexico in a 63-foot white catamaran on June 9th. The were due to make a stop over in the Dry Tortugas on Friday, June 13th and arrive in Key West the following Monday.
When the couple failed to arrive by Tuesday, a family member contacted the Coast Guard 7th District Command Center in Miami to report them overdue.
In addition to launching search planes from Miami, Clearwater and Alabama, the Coast Guard issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast to ask boaters to keep an eye out for the missing couple.
- The Struggle Over Regulating Sun Life Stadium In Miami Gardens
- Art Basel Brings Big Business & Big Money To South Florida
- Satellite Art Fairs Grow At Art Basel As Wynwood Walls Get New Look
- Wilton Manors Couple Spreads Awareness On World AIDS Day
- Investigation Underway After Small Plane Crashes In Opa-Locka