MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — According to Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, the Obama administration should be blamed for the waves of immigrant children crossing the border illegally.
The potential presidential candidate told reporters at a Republican fundraiser in Miami on Friday that Obama’s 2012 decision to defer the deportations of some young immigrants who were brought to the country illegally creates a perception of an incentive to cross the border.
The Texas Republican calls Obama’s executive order a “lawless act” that grants “amnesty.”
More than 47,000 children, primarily from Central America, have been apprehended at the Mexican border since the start of the budget year. The administration says the influx is being driven mostly by gang-related violence in other countries.
Cruz says Congress should pass legislation that tightens border security and streamlines the immigration system.
Read more, click here.
Watch the report, click here.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Hialeah House Fire Sends Two Toddlers, One Adult To Hospital
- Carol City High Celebrates State Football Title With Parade, Block Party
- Balloon Left At Florida Grave Hits Utility Line, Knocks Out Power
- Dan Marino Autism Walk Has Seventh Straight Successful Event
- Brevard Deputies Save Woman, Dog From Burning Building