MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A Florida Keys Judge fell asleep during a trial last week while an attorney was presenting him evidence.
According to KeysInfoNet, Monroe County Circuit Court Judge Tegan Slaton blamed the incident on a new prescription he was taking to help him battle insomnia.
The judge said he has since stopped taking the prescription since he would rather deal with lack of sleep than the hallucinations the drug caused. Slaton described his hallucinations as “Fantasia and the dancing brooms,” from the animated Disney movie.
According to the judge, he felt fine when he woke up on June 12th after taking the drug the night before. He did a morning hearing then took a nap until about 15 minutes before the trial. He told the paper the deputies were concerned.
His judicial aide said he looked like a “zombie” and had a hard time communicating.
About 15 minutes into the trial, a bailiff nudged him and then another bailiff did it again. About 15 minutes after that, Slaton left the courtroom and another judge took over.
Slaton said the “Ambien issue ” will never happen again, according to the site.
Click here for the full story.
- Students Hold March For Gun Law Change As Final Shooting Victim Is Laid To Rest
- Facing Criticism Over Parkland Shooting, Broward Sheriff Says “Of Course I Won’t Resign”
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Return To School For First Time Since Shooting
- Trump Floats New Gun Measures As Gun Owners Talk ‘Betrayal’
- Students Rally For Stricter Gun Laws In Parkland