MIAMI (AP) — Right-hander Tyler Kolek has signed with the Miami Marlins less than two weeks after they made him the second overall pick in the draft.
The 18-year-old Kolek was to attend the Marlins’ game Monday night against the Chicago Cubs. The Marlins have signed 19 of their 42 draft picks, including their first five.
The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Kolek pitched for Shepherd (Texas) High School, where his fastball consistently registered in the upper 90s and exceeded 100 mph. The last high school pitcher to be selected by the Marlins with their first pick was Jose Fernandez in 2011.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affidavit States Jose Fernandez, Friends Had Strong Odor Of Alcohol
- Jose Fernandez Given Posthumous NL Comeback Player Of The Year Award
- Steelers WR Antonio Brown Honors Miami Legends Jose Fernandez, Kimbo Slice On Cleats
- Panthers Set To Honor Jose Fernandez For Opening Night
- Marlins May Be Considering A Familiar Face For Coaching Staff