MIAMI (AP) — Right-hander Tyler Kolek has signed with the Miami Marlins less than two weeks after they made him the second overall pick in the draft.
The 18-year-old Kolek was to attend the Marlins’ game Monday night against the Chicago Cubs. The Marlins have signed 19 of their 42 draft picks, including their first five.
The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Kolek pitched for Shepherd (Texas) High School, where his fastball consistently registered in the upper 90s and exceeded 100 mph. The last high school pitcher to be selected by the Marlins with their first pick was Jose Fernandez in 2011.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Miami-Dade County Suing Fmr. & Current Miami Marlins Owners
- It’s A New Era For The Miami Marlins, What It Looks Like
- ‘We’re Going To Put Players On The Field Who Work Hard & Compete’: Derek Jeter On Marlins
- Former NBA Exec Hired To Lead Marlins Business Operations
- Former Marlins, Yankees Manager Joe Girardi Hired By MLB Network As Studio Analyst