MIAMI (AP) — Right-hander Tyler Kolek has signed with the Miami Marlins less than two weeks after they made him the second overall pick in the draft.
The 18-year-old Kolek was to attend the Marlins’ game Monday night against the Chicago Cubs. The Marlins have signed 19 of their 42 draft picks, including their first five.
The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Kolek pitched for Shepherd (Texas) High School, where his fastball consistently registered in the upper 90s and exceeded 100 mph. The last high school pitcher to be selected by the Marlins with their first pick was Jose Fernandez in 2011.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Derek Jeter Poaches Longtime Yankees Exec Gary Denbo
- Future Of Marlins Roster In Limbo As Jeter Asks Fans For Patience
- New Marlins Owner Derek Jeter: “I’ve Been Focused On Miami For Years”
- Loria Out, Jeter And Sherman In As Closing On Marlins Sale Is Complete
- With Latest Disappointing Season Now Over, New Miami Marlins Ownership Takes The Wheel