DELTONA (CBSMiami/AP) — A central Florida man’s efforts to use the “spare tire” around his middle to escape arrest fell flat.
Christopher Mitchell, 42, was arrested after Volusia County sheriff’s deputies reportedly found cocaine and 23 grams of marijuana hidden under his “stomach fat.”
It happened Friday when a Volusia County sheriff’s deputy stopped a vehicle after noticing that the passenger wasn’t wearing a seat belt.
Mitchell, who weighs 450 pounds, told the deputy that he’s too big to wear a seat belt. The deputy said he requested a drug-detecting dog because Mitchell and the driver appeared nervous. The dog detected the presence of drugs in the vehicle.
In addition to the drugs on Mitchell, deputies said they also found a handgun and $7,000 in cash in the vehicle.
Mitchell and the driver were arrested.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- FIU Announces Blood Drive, Vigil For Bridge Collapse Victims As Classes Set To Resume Monday
- Cirque Du Soleil Performer Dies After Fall At Florida Show
- Thousands Of Florida Homeowners Will Be Paid For Lost Trees
- Florida Schools May Get More Help To Hire Resource Officers
- Florida Driver Strikes 4 Motorcycles, Killing 1 Rider