DELTONA (CBSMiami/AP) — A central Florida man’s efforts to use the “spare tire” around his middle to escape arrest fell flat.
Christopher Mitchell, 42, was arrested after Volusia County sheriff’s deputies reportedly found cocaine and 23 grams of marijuana hidden under his “stomach fat.”
It happened Friday when a Volusia County sheriff’s deputy stopped a vehicle after noticing that the passenger wasn’t wearing a seat belt.
Mitchell, who weighs 450 pounds, told the deputy that he’s too big to wear a seat belt. The deputy said he requested a drug-detecting dog because Mitchell and the driver appeared nervous. The dog detected the presence of drugs in the vehicle.
In addition to the drugs on Mitchell, deputies said they also found a handgun and $7,000 in cash in the vehicle.
Mitchell and the driver were arrested.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Three Arrested For Trying To Use Fraudulent Credit Cards In Key Largo
- Man, 71, Faces Attempted Murder Charge In Stepson’s Shooting
- Creators Of ‘Moonlight’ Receive Local Honor, Street Renaming
- Erin Moran, Joanie Cunningham In “Happy Days,” Dies At 56
- Man On Bicycle Killed After Being Hit By Miami-Dade Transit Bus