FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – Broward Sheriff’s detectives have arrested a man for attempting to kidnap an 18-year-old girl on May 1.
More than a dozen Crime Stoppers tips led to the arrest after detectives released surveillance images of the suspect to news media.
Many people said they recognized the van and the man in the video.
The callers identified the man as Carl Watts, 37, and detectives said Watts even called to turn himself in also.
Watts has a criminal history including three previous kidnapping charges.
According to BSO, the 18-year-old victim was waiting for a bus on Sunrise Boulevard when detectives said Watts tried to coax the young woman into his van. Detectives said he even tried to shove money down the front of her shirt.
The young woman, Candace Williams, managed to get away after Watts allegedly grabbed her arm as the county bus approached.
Williams said she told a teacher at school of the incident rather than calling police right away.
Watts was charged with one count of false imprisonment and battery. He is also on federal probation on a weapons charge.
- President Obama To Visit Active Military In Florida
- Private Ceremony Head For Burial Of Fidel Castro’s Ashes
- Many Wondering What Will Come Next Following Fidel Castro’s Death
- Thousands Of Cuban People Gather To Say Final Goodbye To Fidel
- Police Continue To Investigate Shooting Of FIU Student In Parking Garage