CAPE CANAVERAL (CBSMiami/AP) — Astronauts on the International Space Station were able traced smoke and a burning smell to a malfunctioning water heater in the galley.
NASA said there wasn’t enough smoke to trigger the alarms on Tuesday or warrant the use of masks by the six-man crew. The smoke came from a vent and dissipated within a half-hour or so.
Commander Steven Swanson says there was only a small amount of smoke and everyone was fine.
The astronauts quickly disconnected the electric water-heating unit and activated air purifiers in the Zvezda compartment, Russian for star.
On Wednesday, the astronauts installed a spare unit. NASA says it’s working normally.
A similar problem occurred in 2009.
The astronauts say they didn’t see anything unusual with the removed device.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Bal Harbor Passes Ordinance That “Considers Anti-Semitism In Enforcing Village Laws”
- Deadly Police Chase Investigated As Family Grieves
- Jury Finds Mother Guilty In Third ‘Baby Lollipops’ Murder Trial
- Police, Family Want Answers After Woman Dies Of Gunshot Wound While Driving
- Santa Visits Kids At Miami Cancer Institute Celebrating Holiday Season