MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A female firefighter in Miami Beach made history Wednesday for being the first female firefighter promoted to the rank of division chief in that fire department.
The Miami Beach City Commission honored Lieutenant Digna Abello with a medal for being the first female in a chief role.
As part of her new position, Abello will be in charge of support services. She will oversee recruitment and department-wide training, as well as logistics. She will also be in charge of maintenance of fire engines and rescue trucks.
Six other Miami Beach firefighters were also promoted in front of the commission.
- Concerns Grow After 1st Baby Born With Zika-Related Birth Defect In Florida
- Video: Miami Gardens Police Chief Tackles Suspect In Store
- Young Girls Take Stand Against Coral Springs School Employee Accused Of Molestation
- Dems Force Legislative Poll On Post-Pulse Special Session
- Consumer Group Lists Most Hazardous Summer Toys