FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) — It was all about “Turtle Power” at the Broward Health Medical Center’s Chris Evert Children’s Hospital Sunday.
Family, friends and strangers came together to show their support for a young boy who nearly drowned in his family’s pool.
They decorated the flag pole for James Edwards.
Edwards, turns two in July and is in critical condition.
The Turtle Power movement began earlier in the week online with the #TurtlePower and #TurtlePowerforJames hashtags.
They refer to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is James’ favorite TV show.
James’ mother started a Facebook page to keep the community updated on his condition with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme and the page went viral garnering the support of more than 21,000 followers.
The decorations included green ribbons, signs and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle memorabilia.
Former oncology patient Lainie Mara Jones helped plan the turtle-themed event.
Friends of the Edwards family have set up a fundraising webpage.
Those interested in making a financial donation that will be used for James’ medical expenses should visit the site by clicking here.
- Nonstop Stream Of Fans Visit Jose Fernandez’s Viewing For Final Goodbye
- Family, Community Join In Procession For Marlins Ace Jose Fernandez
- 2-Year-Old Boy Left In Van Dies
- Magazine Teases Trump Did Business With Cuba When It Was Illegal
- Tropical Storm Matthew Growing As It Heads For Caribbean