Smith Leads Texas Tech Into Super Regional
Sports Fan Insider
CORAL GABLES (AP) — Cameron Smith tossed a three-hitter to send Texas Tech to the NCAA super regionals for the first time in school history with a 4-0 win over Miami on Monday.
Zach Davis hit a pinch-hit two-run single in the ninth after the Red Raiders broke through with two runs in the seventh.
Texas Tech (43-19) will face College of Charleston (44-17), the Gainesville Regional winner, in a best-of-three series.
Miami, the ACC regular season champs, forced a final game by beating Texas Tech 2-1 in 10 innings earlier in the day in the completion of a suspended game, but were unable to break through against Smith (8-2), who struck out three and walked five.
Cooper Hammond (5-2) took the loss for Miami.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Time Is Running Out For Miami Marlins
- Marlins Lose 6-1 To Angels Despite Hechavarria HR
- Marlins And Angels Battle For Series Win
- Eovaldi Clobbered In Angels’ 8-2 Rout Of Marlins
- Marlins Turn To Eovaldi Hoping To Continue Wild Card Climb