Texas Tech, Miami Scuffle After Run-In, 3 Ejected
CORAL GABLES (AP) — A player and two coaches have been ejected after Texas Tech and Miami got into a scuffle at an NCAA tournament game.
Texas Tech led 1-0 in the third inning Sunday at the Coral Gables regional when Miami’s David Thompson tried to beat out an infield hit. He collided with Tech first baseman Eric Gutierrez, was tagged out and fell to the ground.
Gutierrez showed Thompson the ball and then dropped it right next to him.
Miami first base coach Gino DiMare had words with Gutierrez, prompting Tech first base coach Jay-Bob Thomas to come from the dugout.
Both benches emptied, but no punches were thrown and the game was delayed 15 minutes. Gutierrez, Thomas and DiMare were ejected and had to leave the grounds. Thomas and Gutierrez went to sit on the team bus.
A win would put Texas Tech in the super regionals. A victory by Miami would set up a deciding game to see who advanced.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Perkins: ‘I’m Not Counting on Evan Mathis’ to Miami
- Winderman on Ross’ Comments: ‘NFL is Not The Only Show in Town’
- This Week In Golf: Troy Merritt Claims First PGA Tour Victory In Quicken Loans National
- Dwyane Wade Predicted His Future in High School
- NFL Insider: Miami Dolphins a ‘Super Bowl Sleeper’