JACKSONVILLE (CBSMiami/AP)— For the first time ever, the Southeastern Conference women’s basketball tournament will be held in sunny South Florida.
The tournament will take place in Jacksonville in 2016.
The league previously awarded the tournament to North Little Rock, Arkansas, in 2015 and Nashville, Tennessee, in 2018, 2022 and 2026.
SEC Commissioner Mike Slive says, “We look forward to showcasing our women’s basketball programs in the Sunshine State for the first time. Our student-athletes, coaches and current fans will greatly enjoy their visit and the exciting games will forge new fans of SEC women’s basketball in the process.”
The 2016 tournament will be played at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, a 15,000-seat, multi-purpose arena.
Jacksonville also will host a women’s basketball tournament involving two SEC teams in November 2015. Details will be released later.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- “Allergic Reaction” Keeps Laremy Tunsil From Fins’ Introductory Press Conference
- Keidel: Like Dan Marino, Laremy Tunsil A Victim Of Embellished Fears
- Ole Miss To Investigate Tunsil’s Comments On Receiving Cash
- Top 5 Wildest Sports Callers Of The Week: April 25th-April 29th
- According To NBA, Wade Wasn’t Fouled In Final Seconds Of Game 5