MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Miami police have arrested a man for allegedly sexually assaulting a young girl who lived in his neighborhood.
The incident took place Sunday night around 10:00 p.m. in the area of NW 5 Avenue and NW 3 Street.
The child’s mother contacted police.
Detectives stated the child was lured into an alley by Jose del Carmen Escoto, 60, after she asked him for two dollars.
Escoto allegedly gave the girl one dollar, pulled down her pants and assaulted her in front of a 7-year-old neighborhood playmate.
“I think that it is disgusting and gross,” said neighbor Alma Saavedra. “The thing with him is that he was always really nice to the kids, typical, nice, and we never expected this. I want people to be aware that sometimes where you live you have to be very careful. You have to have your eyes open because it could be the next door neighbor.”
The child’s mother said the assault happened just steps away from their home, during a celebration for the girls first communion.
She also told CBS4s Gaby Fleischman that her daughter said Escoto has assaulted her multiple times in the past, and threatened her to keep quiet.
Police say after his arrest, Escoto told them the child placed the dollar he gave her in her pants and that is how his DNA got onto her.
He is charged with seven counts of sexual battery on a child and one count of lewd and lascivious exhibition. A judge set no bond Tuesday afternoon.
Police believe there may be more victims.
If you have any information for police, contact Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.
- Holocaust Survivor On Balancing Free Speech With Hate Speech: ‘We Have To Have Limitations’
- Half-Sisters Of Slain Army Sergeant Know All Too Well Pain Of Losing Family
- Police: Lyft Driver Confesses To Sexually Abusing Teen He Drove Home
- White Supremacist Heckled Relentlessly At Controversial UF Speech
- Gen. Kelly ‘Stunned’ By Congresswoman’s Criticism Of Trump’s Call To Soldier’s Widow