GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — Jose Brizuela’s RBI single capped a four-run seventh inning, and Florida State rallied past Virginia 6-4 on Saturday night at the Atlantic Coast Conference baseball tournament.
The second-seeded Seminoles (43-15) trailed the third-seeded Cavaliers (44-13) by three runs in the seventh before Josh Delph started the rally with a run-scoring groundout.
ACC player of the year DJ Stewart, John Nogowski and Brizuela added consecutive RBI singles later in the inning for the Seminoles.
Florida State shortstop Justin Gonzalez made a remarkable diving catch of John La Prise’s hard liner and turned it into a critical inning-ending double play in the eighth.
The Seminoles added an insurance run in the eighth on Casey Smit’s run-scoring sacrifice fly.
Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston retired all four batters he faced for his seventh save.
Brandon Downes’ two-run homer highlighted a three-run third that put Virginia up 3-1.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Healing Begins As Teammates Channel Jose Fernandez’s Fiery Spirit
- Community Continues To Mourn Loss Of Rising Star Jose Fernandez
- New-Look Heat Open Training Camp With Same Goals In Mind
- Marlins’ Ozuna Turned Down Invitation To Join Fernandez On His Boat
- At NBA Media Day, Concern For Country Over Concern For Team