GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — Jose Brizuela’s RBI single capped a four-run seventh inning, and Florida State rallied past Virginia 6-4 on Saturday night at the Atlantic Coast Conference baseball tournament.
The second-seeded Seminoles (43-15) trailed the third-seeded Cavaliers (44-13) by three runs in the seventh before Josh Delph started the rally with a run-scoring groundout.
ACC player of the year DJ Stewart, John Nogowski and Brizuela added consecutive RBI singles later in the inning for the Seminoles.
Florida State shortstop Justin Gonzalez made a remarkable diving catch of John La Prise’s hard liner and turned it into a critical inning-ending double play in the eighth.
The Seminoles added an insurance run in the eighth on Casey Smit’s run-scoring sacrifice fly.
Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston retired all four batters he faced for his seventh save.
Brandon Downes’ two-run homer highlighted a three-run third that put Virginia up 3-1.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Allen Tosses Five TDs, St. Thomas Aquinas Routs Tampa Plant For 7A Title
- James Moves Into 9th On Scoring List As Cavs Top Heat 114-84
- Dolphins Injury Report: Fins Deal With Issues At Linebacker Position In Week 14
- Brown Scores Four TDs, American Heritage Downs Ponte Vedra For 5A Crown
- Jeff Hardy Opens Up About TNA Wrestling, Concussion Fears, New Album