PALM HARBOR (CBSMiami/AP) — Crews found the body of a 70-year old man who died while trying to save a dog that jumped overboard.
The man jumped from a boat into a Tampa Bay-area lake in order to save the dog on Saturday, May 24th, according to authorities.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office said the dog was returned safely the same day to the pontoon boat on Lake Tarpon, but the man disappeared underwater.
The man’s body was found Sunday morning. His name has not been released.
Meanwhile, the Coast Guard said it worked with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to make several rescues Saturday in Jacksonville waterways. Among those needing rescue were a two men and a 10-year-old boy whose boat became stuck on top of a jetty.
The Coast Guard said several boaters were taken into custody Saturday for operating their vessels while intoxicated.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- First Tiger Cubs Born At Disney’s Animal Kingdom Make Debut
- House Speaker Paul Ryan Says He’s Not Leaving Congress Anytime Soon
- Getting A Smart Toy? How To Keep Your Child’s Info Safe
- FCC Votes To Repeal Net Neutrality Rules, What It Means For You
- Sen. Rubio A ‘No’ In Republican Tax Plan, Unless Some Things Change