MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — While many people are sitting by the beach or at a backyard barbecue for the Memorial Day weekend, others will be working to end homelessness.
Singer Connie Francis will be in Miami to help.
Francis and Florida Veterans Foundation Inc. have organized a three-day “Stand Down” event for about 300 veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
Participants will live in tents set up by local fire, police and active duty military volunteers. The veterans and their families will have access to medical care, housing assistance, counseling and employment and legal services. They also will get hot meals, showers, clean clothes and haircuts.
Francis will address the veterans Saturday night. She says she plans to work with Miami’s mayor on efforts to help veterans.
Francis’ signature song is “Where the Boys Are,” the title track to the 1960 film filmed in Fort Lauderdale.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Parkland Restaurant Holding Fundraiser To Help Orlando Mass Shooting Victims
- After School Counselor Accused Of Child Molestation Takes Stand
- Heavily Armed Officers At Miami International Airport Becoming All Too Familiar Sight
- $24 Million In Cash Discovered In Miami-Dade Police Raid
- Disney World Drops Jokes About Crocs Eating Kids After Deadly Gator Attack