MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office believes a Miami Police Officer’s death was not an accident or a suicide.

On Wednesday CBS4 learned in a search warrant that the Medical Examiners determined Patrick’s death was a homicide.

The Medical Examiner — Dr. Craig Malick — told CBs 4 News that means that death investigators do not believe Patrick died from an accidental shooting or a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Tiniko Thompson (Source: Miami Police)

Tiniko Thompson (Source: Miami Police)

The attorney for Tiniko Thompson, Patrick’s live-in girlfriend, has maintained that the couple fought on the morning that Patrick was shot and Patrick fired his weapon himself.

Roderick Vereen told CBS 4 News in a text message on Wednesday night that he has not seen the report and could not comment on it.

Sources told CBS4 News that preliminary autopsy results show that Patrick was alive for at least two hours in his home after being shot and possibly as many as six hours.

Investigators said Thompson waited two days before asking her mother to call 9-1-1.

She was seen on surveillance video in the hours after the shooting at a Miami storage facility.

Sources also told CBS4 News that police believe Thompson cleaned up the home before leaving. CBS 4 News has learned that blood was found at the bottom of one of the drains.

Pembroke Pines Police are working to get their hands on the cell phone records of Patrick and his girlfriend.

A search warrant obtained by CBS4 News shows that police want to study the phone calls, emails, voicemails and locations of those cell phones in the days leading up to and after Patrick was found shot to death in the Pembroke Pines home he shared with Thompson.

The court documents show that Patrick’s cell phone was taken from his home and recovered in Miami-Dade.

Pembroke Pines Police are staying very quiet about all of these details.

They told CBS4’s Carey Codd they still want to speak with Thompson and have not heard back from her or her lawyer.

The Medical Examiner did tell Codd, over the phone,that they still have some questions and is looking at some pieces of information in the case but that the preliminary report is that Officer Patrick died of a homicide.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE