ATLANTA (AP) — Minneapolis has been awarded the 2018 Super Bowl by NFL owners.
The owners rewarded the Vikings for arranging to build a new stadium on the site of the old Metrodome by choosing Minneapolis over New Orleans and Indianapolis.
The big game will be staged in the Twin Cities for the second time. It was there in 1992, when Washington beat Buffalo.
Minneapolis’ new $1 billion stadium is scheduled to open in 2016.
New Orleans has staged the Super Bowl 10 times, tied with South Florida for the most, but its bid might have been damaged by the blackout that interrupted the 2013 title game. Indianapolis had it in 2012.
Next year’s game is in Glendale, Arizona, followed by Santa Clara, California, for the 50th Super Bowl, then Houston.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Giancarlo Stanton Talks About His Marlins Exit In Yankees News Conference
- Going Going Gone: Marlins Officially Trade Slugger Giancarlo Stanton To Yankees
- Miami Hurricanes Guard Lonnie Walker Named ACC Rookie Of The Week
- Desperate Dolphins Face Tough Test Against Surging Patriots On Monday Night Football
- Latest NHL Power Rankings