TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — Florida House Speaker Will Weatherford is expected to testify Tuesday in a high stakes trial which could decide the future of of the state’s congressional districts.
Weatherford, a Wesley Chapel Republican, was in charge of the House committee that oversaw redistricting in 2011 and 2012.
Voters in 2010 passed the “Fair Districts” amendment that says districts cannot be drawn in a way to favor incumbents or members of a political party.
A coalition of groups contends legislators drew up maps for congressional seats that violate those standards. Attorneys for the Legislature call the allegations false.
The lawsuit says several districts, including the one held by U.S. Rep. Corinne Brown in Jacksonville, were drawn in a way to help Republicans.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Taste Of The Town: South Beach’s Habitat Is A Warm, Welcoming Eatery
- President Trump To Visit Key West
- Attorney Says Jose Fernandez Probe Has Ruined His Family And Legacy
- Murder Suspect Shot And Killed On Busy Street By Fort Lauderdale Police
- Historic Transition Time In Cuba As Raul Castro Prepares For Successor