HIALEAH (CBSMiami) – Police are looking into a shooting at a Hialeah pharmacy during an attempted robbery and whether an employee was forced to fire a gun.
The employee being questioned is in his 60s, according to police.
Police said the incident happened inside the 41 Health Mart Pharmacy on East 41 Street and 8 Avenue around 12:15 p.m.
Investigators found one man dead inside the pharmacy.
“There is a man inside the store who has been determined to be the shooter and we are trying to find out why this man shot in the pharmacy. We are not sure if this started as a robbery, “said Detective Carl Zogby with Hialeah Police. “We are trying to figure that out now. We know when it was open for business there were plenty of customers around and plenty of people to talk to figure out what happened.”
The shooting happened in a very busy area of Hialeah just east of Lejeune Road.
Police sealed off the area around the pharmacy.
“What questions do you have Carl? Why it happened? asked D’Oench. “Was it self-defense or was this another homicide? We have to look at it as a homicide. When the dust settles, do we have a justifiable homicide or do we have a dispute. We are looking at how this started and why,” replied Zogby.
Detective Zogby said the investigation is moving slowly because there are so many witnesses involved and they need to be interviewed.
- TSA: Record Setting Week For Firearms Recovered At Airport Checkpoints
- South Florida Gets Ready For Influx Of Memorial Day Revelers
- Hollywood City Attorney Charged With DUI One Step Closer To Being Out Of Job
- FPL Shows Off Storm Preparations Ahead Of Hurricane Season
- Exclusive: Surveillance Shows Tense Moments After Banquet Hall Shooting