Miami (CBSMiami/AP) — Separated for nearly five years, a central Florida woman has been reunited with her daughter.
The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office says Jodie Borchert of Deltona was reunited with her 12-year-old daughter Saturday in Miami.
Police say the girl’s father fled with her in August 2009.
The father, 55-year-old Aaron Cox, had weekend custody rights.
Police received a tip this week that he had taken the girl to a remote area in the mountains of Hidalgo, Mexico, about two hours outside Mexico City.
“Very valid break in the case. He was found in Mexico. We were able to get into the area…secure him,” said Brandon Haught of the Volusia County Sheriff’s Department.
The father and child were found in a mountain area. They were living under assumed names.
He was arrested on a charge of interference with child custody and extradited to Florida. It’s not known if he has an attorney.
Borchert and her daughter have returned to the Orlando area where they live.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Ariana Grande “Broken” After Terror Attack; Back Home In South Florida
- Online Rental Scam Costing South Floridians Thousands Of Dollars
- At Least 1 Dead After Car Slams Into Gas Pump & Catches Fire In Dania Beach
- Police: Man Caught On Surveillance Robbing Elderly Women In Pompano Beach
- Many Children, Teens Listed As Victims Of Manchester Terror Attack