MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A brush fire near Florida City created a traffic detour for drivers traveling to or from Monroe County on U.S. 1 on Saturday, May 17th.
North and southbound lanes on US-1 have been reopened.The fire has been contained.
Both sides had been closed most of the day due to the brush fire near mile marker 124 of US-1.
That stretch of road connects Florida City to Key Largo. Officials closed the highway to traffic due to the fire and smoky conditions in the area.
Forestry officials say at least 140 acres were burned.
The toll on the roadway had been lifted.
Drivers were asked to allow extra time for their ride.
- Armed Robbery Leads To Chase Through Broward County
- Disturbing Shark Dragging Video Leads To FWC Investigation
- Florida Teen Wins $26,000 A Year For Life Off $1 Scratch-Off
- Gordon Ramsay Cooks Up Unique Florida Dish: Burmese Python
- Mother Calls Police Chase, Shoot Out A “Terrifying Experience”