MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A close associate of former U.S. Rep. David Rivera plans to appeal a judge’s ruling denying her release on bail on charges of violating federal campaign finance laws.
The attorney for Ana Alliegro has filed court papers saying she will take her case to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Two Miami judges have ordered her jailed until trial as a flight risk.
Alliegro is charged with illegally funneling over $80,000 to the 2012 Democratic 26th District House primary campaign of political unknown Justin Lamar Sternad. Sternad has pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations.
The case centers on whether Alliegro and Rivera used Sternad as a straw candidate to weaken Democrat Joe Garcia, who eventually won the seat.
Rivera, a Republican, has denied any wrongdoing and is running for the seat again.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- FIU Temporarily Suspends Greek Life Over ‘Growing Concerns’
- Good Samaritan Stops Would-be Burglar In His Tracks
- Police Search For Suspect After Young Boy Is Shot And Killed In Miami-Dade
- Exclusive: Rubio Votes Yes On Tax Plan But Says “We Have A Long Way To Go” On Economic Policy
- Coach Arrested In NY With Teen Booked Into Florida Jail