MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A close associate of former U.S. Rep. David Rivera plans to appeal a judge’s ruling denying her release on bail on charges of violating federal campaign finance laws.
The attorney for Ana Alliegro has filed court papers saying she will take her case to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Two Miami judges have ordered her jailed until trial as a flight risk.
Alliegro is charged with illegally funneling over $80,000 to the 2012 Democratic 26th District House primary campaign of political unknown Justin Lamar Sternad. Sternad has pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations.
The case centers on whether Alliegro and Rivera used Sternad as a straw candidate to weaken Democrat Joe Garcia, who eventually won the seat.
Rivera, a Republican, has denied any wrongdoing and is running for the seat again.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Gov. Scott Holds Roundtable In Orlando As Theme Parks Take Measures Against Zika
- Police: Pinecrest Resident Burglarized Neighbors’ Homes
- Miami-Dade Mayor Faces Challenge In Contentious Race
- Broward Polling Places Open For Business Under Gloomy Skies
- 19-Year-Old Charged In Bizarre Break-In Similar To Face-Biting Attack