LOS ANGELES (AP) — Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez has a significant tear in his right elbow and the team doctor is recommending that he have Tommy John surgery.
Team president Michael Hill made the announcement in the Dodger Stadium press box during Tuesday night’s game against Los Angeles.
The 21-year-old Fernandez was put on the 15-day disabled list Monday. Last season’s NL Rookie of the Year was examined Tuesday by Marlins team physician Lee Kaplan in Florida.
The Marlins said Fernandez is visiting with his family to talk about his options.
The rehabilitation period for Tommy John surgery can be 12 to 18 months. Several prominent pitchers have already had the elbow ligament transplant procedure this year.
Fernandez is 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA in eight starts. Right-hander Anthony DeSclafani will be promoted from the minors and start Wednesday night in his major league debut.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Steelers WR Antonio Brown Honors Miami Legends Jose Fernandez, Kimbo Slice On Cleats
- Panthers Set To Honor Jose Fernandez For Opening Night
- Marlins May Be Considering A Familiar Face For Coaching Staff
- Miami Heat Honor Jose Fernandez With Special Pregame Tribute
- Marlins Extend Prado For Three Years, Exercise Option On Ichiro