TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) — The civil rights group Dream Defenders is asking Gov. Rick Scott to end education discrimination in Florida’s school system.
On Monday, they will deliver a petition with nearly six thousand signatures to the governor which demands that the” stop discriminating against black and Hispanic students by setting lower academic goals for students of color.”
The Southern Poverty Law Center helped organize the petition. The center filed a federal civil rights lawsuit in August saying the Florida Department of Education discriminated against black and Hispanic students in its strategic plan.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- CBS4 News Exclusive: Trump Denies Ties To Russia
- Councilman Holds Town Hall In North Miami To Discuss Officer-Involved Shooting
- Clinton Wins Historic Nomination, Emotional Boost From Bill
- Owner Of Lauderhill Home Hit By Van: ‘I Just Had Come In Like 10 Minutes Before’
- Protesters Give Trump A Piece Of Their Mind Outside Doral Fundraiser