MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A 19-year-old South Florida man who pleaded guilty to a string of violent armed robberies will not get out of jail before he is in his 70s. Lionell Sanders was sentenced to 56 years in federal prison.
The sentence was imposed Friday by U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore on Lionell Sanders of Miami.
Court documents show Sanders and his cohorts targeted food delivery drivers and taxi operators in August and September of last year. At least five separate times the group placed food orders or called for taxi service only to rob the drivers at gunpoint and assault them physically.
Sanders pleaded guilty to robbery, conspiracy and firearms charges brought as part of a federal-local violence reduction effort. Miami U.S. Attorney Wifredo Ferrer says the initiative seeks to dismantle violent organizations and also provide job training and skills in needy neighborhoods.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Miami House Fire Forces Couple Out Of Their Home
- Get Moving & Relieve Stress With Free Yoga Class on Española Way
- Lauren’s List: Retail Tricks That Make You Spend More
- South Florida Relief Efforts Bring Aid To Puerto Rico & Families Back To US
- Street Fight Scatters When Gunman Opens Fire, Hitting 2 Juveniles