MARATHON (CBSMiami/AP) — A man is being held in the Florida Keys without bond on charges that he had a mutilated a sea turtle in his possession and had violated marine regulations.
Monroe County Jail records show 37-year-old Serguei Perez-Perdomo of Marathon was being held Friday on three counts for violation saltwater fish regulations and one count for destroying, selling or molesting turtles or eggs or nests.
A sheriff’s office report says deputies received a tip that a man placed a cooler in some mangroves. Inside were 212 out-of-season lobster tails, undersized stone crab claws and a turtle that had been butchered for its meat.
Deputies saw Perez-Perdomo putting the cooler in his truck. He later acknowledged that the cooler was his.
Jail records did not list an attorney.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- CDC: 3 Wynwood Businesses At Epicenter Of 1st U.S. Zika Outbreak
- Tropical Storm Karl Passes Near Bermuda, Turns North
- Stolen Car Recovered With Baby Still In Back Seat
- 2 Killed, Including Miami Firefighter, At Wake Shooting
- Principal Maimed By Alleged Drunk Driver Throws Out 1st Pitch At Marlins Game