NEW YORK (AP) — Even the NFL’s official Twitter account is piling on Johnny Manziel’s slide in the draft.
After the Dallas Cowboys became the 16th team to pass on the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from Texas A&M on Thursday night, the league tweeted: “#SadManziel???”
The polarizing player’s agonizing wait was the perfect fodder for social media, with the hashtag “BeforeManzielGetsDrafted” trending on Twitter.
With the Cowboys’ pick coming up, a guy who knows something about slipping in the draft chimed in. Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers tweeted: “This should be an interesting 10 minutes.”
In 2005, Rodgers fell to the 24th pick as the TV cameras chronicled his distress just as they did for Johnny Football on Thursday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- UM Notebook: Canes Not Making Excuses Heading Into Season Opener
- Adam Gase Just One Of Several New NFL Coaches This Season
- Impact Injuries That Could Affect Your Fantasy Football Draft
- Slumping Marlins Need A Win Against Rival Mets
- Miami’s Rookie WRs Will Get Plenty Of Game Time In Preseason Finale