BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Johnny Football’s long wait is over.
The Cleveland Browns selected Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick of the NFL draft on Thursday night, moving up to nab college football’s most exciting player who waited most of the first round to be selected.
The Browns made two earlier trades and passed on Manziel. With a chance to land him again, the Browns traded with Philadelphia and jumped from No. 26 to No. 22 to nab Johnny Football, who walked on Radio Music City Hall’s stage doing his signature “money” gesture.
SLIDESHOW: Inside The 2014 NFL Draft
Manziel will certainly sell tickets in Cleveland, but the Browns need him to win and there are questions about the 5-foot-11 QB’s durability.
Manziel is expected to compete with Brian Hoyer, who is coming off knee surgery.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fans Overcome With Emotion Over Jose Fernandez’s Death
- Jose Fernandez, Friends, At Waterfront Hot Spot Before Fatal Crash
- Marlins Honor Jose Fernandez Just The Way He Would’ve Wanted
- Gordon Hits Emotional HR And Mourning Marlins Beat Mets 7-3
- Loved Ones Remember Jose Fernandez’s New Close Friends Killed In Crash