PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Philadelphia Eagles have selected Louisville linebacker Marcus Smith with the 26th pick in the NFL draft after trading four spots down with the Cleveland Browns.
The 6-foot-3, 251-pound Smith is a versatile player with experience at defensive end. He projects at outside linebacker in Philadelphia’s 3-4 defense.
Smith is the first linebacker drafted in the first round by the Eagles since Jerry Robinson in 1979.
SLIDESHOW: Inside The 2014 NFL Draft
Coach Chip Kelly passed on quarterback Johnny Manziel at No. 22 and sent the pick to the Browns for No. 26 and a third-round choice (No. 83). Kelly recruited Manziel at Oregon and recently said Johnny Football’s decision to go to Texas A&M broke his heart. But the Eagles are set at quarterback with Pro Bowl co-MVP Nick Foles.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dolphins Put Win Streak On Line Against Ravens
- Dragic Scores 27 As Heat Hold On For 111-110 Win Over Jazz
- Barkov’s Breakaway Gives Panthers 2-1 OT Win Over Red Wings
- Lippett On Vance Joseph: “It’s Great Playing For A Guy Like That”
- Esiason On Dolphins: “I Think Maybe They Found Their Franchise Coach” In Adam Gase