PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Philadelphia Eagles have selected Louisville linebacker Marcus Smith with the 26th pick in the NFL draft after trading four spots down with the Cleveland Browns.
The 6-foot-3, 251-pound Smith is a versatile player with experience at defensive end. He projects at outside linebacker in Philadelphia’s 3-4 defense.
Smith is the first linebacker drafted in the first round by the Eagles since Jerry Robinson in 1979.
SLIDESHOW: Inside The 2014 NFL Draft
Coach Chip Kelly passed on quarterback Johnny Manziel at No. 22 and sent the pick to the Browns for No. 26 and a third-round choice (No. 83). Kelly recruited Manziel at Oregon and recently said Johnny Football’s decision to go to Texas A&M broke his heart. But the Eagles are set at quarterback with Pro Bowl co-MVP Nick Foles.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Red-Hot Blue Jackets Dominate Panthers In 4-0 Drubbing
- Clock Ticking As Beckham Soccer Group Considers Stadium Sites
- Dolphins To Sign Miami Native Frank Gore To One-Year Deal
- Has Road To WrestleMania Already Topped Main Event?
- NCAA Tournament 2018 TV schedule: Each March Madness Sweet 16 games ranked 1-8