DAYTONA BEACH (CBSMiami/ AP) — Attorneys are arguing a pregnant woman who drove her minivan into the ocean with her children inside, had a mental disorder.
Attorneys say the mental disorder kept Ebony Wilkerson, 32, from knowing the difference between right and wrong at the time.
Defense attorneys for Wilkerson filed a motion of intent to use an insanity defense. Public Defender James Purdy told the Daytona Beach News-Journal Monday that experts will testify that the 32-year-old from North Charleston, South Carolina, had a mental disease or defect in March, when she drove into the surf off Daytona Beach.
Purdy says the motion doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll use insanity as a defense, adding that not guilty remains the “number one” priority.
According to the motion, attorneys expect to prove Wilkerson had schizophrenia and a psychotic disorder.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sightseeing Duck Trolley Catches Fire On MacArthur Causeway
- BSO Needs Help Identifying Robber Caught On Surveillance In Violent ATM Robbery
- Liberty City Students Taken To Hospital After Ingesting Drug
- Intelligence Sources: Officials Believe Russia Tried To Influence Election, Favored Trump
- Exclusive: Bully Brawl At Broward School Brings Criminal Charges