FT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – A self-proclaimed ‘pot princess’ who killed two Coral Springs women in a wrong way crash on the Sawgrass Expressway last year was in court Tuesday morning for her arraignment.
Kayla Mendoza, 21, is facing several charges including DUI Manslaughter and Vehicular Manslaughter.
During the hearing she pleaded not guilty.
Mendoza’s blood alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit when she drove the wrong way on the Sawgrass Expressway last November and slammed into a car carrying 21-year old Kaitlyn Nicole Ferrante and 21-year old Marisa Caran Catronio, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Both women died.
In an interview with Inside Edition, Mendoza said she has no recollection of driving on the highway or the accident.
“And when I found out that not only did I get into an accident but the two girls that I got into the accident with passed away, it just really made me wonder why I didn’t too,” said Mendoza. “Those beautiful girls are not here anymore and it’s because of me.”
Mendoza does recall going out with drinks with co-workers the night of accident. At the time, she was only 20-years old. The receipt from Tijuana Taxi shows the underage Mendoza drank two large house margaritas and had two other drinks of Patron Silver tequila. The receipt shows a payment of $65.78. The receipt does not show that Mendoza ate anything.
The Florida Highway Patrol says at some point that night or the next morning Mendoza tweeted “2 drunk 2 care.”
Mendoza said the tweet has been taken out of context. She said it didn’t mean that she was going to get behind the wheel and whatever happened, happened. Instead, she said, it was meant for her boyfriend because the two had just recently argued.
Mendoza is free on $600,000 bond.
- US Mayors Push Back Against President Trump On Climate Change
- Mothers Of Gun Violence Victims Join Lawmakers To Break ‘Code Of Silence’
- Search On For Unruly Restaurant Customer Who Assaulted BSO Deputy
- CBO: 22 Million More Americans Lose Coverage Under GOP Health Care Bill
- White House Calls SCOTUS Travel Ban Decision ‘A Clear Victory’