“Spider-Man 2″ Swings Into Top Spot
Taste Of The Town
NEW YORK (AP) — Despite mixed reviews, Spider-Man can still sling it at the box office.
“The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ debuted with $92 million at the box office over the weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday. It was a solid opening for Sony’s Columbia Pictures, which has released five movies about Marvel’s web-slinging superhero in the last 14 years.
The rebooted franchise starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone isn’t performing quite as strongly as Sam Raimi’s trilogy with Tobey Maguire. Two of those films opened well above $100 million.
Last week’s No. 1 film, the female revenge comedy “The Other Woman,” slid to second with a distant $14 million.
The release of “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ essentially kicks off Hollywood’s summer season and its annual parade of sequels and spectacle.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Ivanka Trump Talks South Florida, Golf & Women Who Work
- Vince Vaughn & The Cast Of ‘Unfinished Business’ Deliver Funny And Free Stock Photos
- Erik Spoelstra and Girlfriend Nikki Sapp Sang Billie Jean at Battioke 2015 [Video]
- Carrie Underwood’s First Son Is Here: See His Name & First Photo
- Gabrielle Union Wade Lashes Out at NBA Over Lack of Harden Discipline, Hypocrisy