NEW YORK (AP) — Despite mixed reviews, Spider-Man can still sling it at the box office.
“The Amazing Spider-Man 2” debuted with $92 million at the box office over the weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday. It was a solid opening for Sony’s Columbia Pictures, which has released five movies about Marvel’s web-slinging superhero in the last 14 years.
The rebooted franchise starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone isn’t performing quite as strongly as Sam Raimi’s trilogy with Tobey Maguire. Two of those films opened well above $100 million.
Last week’s No. 1 film, the female revenge comedy “The Other Woman,” slid to second with a distant $14 million.
The release of “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” essentially kicks off Hollywood’s summer season and its annual parade of sequels and spectacle.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Zoo Miami Chimpanzees Recovering Well After Medical Checkups, Procedures
- George Clooney Praises Parkland Survivors In Open Letter Ahead Of March For Our Lives
- Firefighter Killed On Movie Set In New York City
- Thorne, Schwarzenegger Shine In “Midnight Sun”
- Many Willing To Tell “Little White Lie” If Late For Work