Local

Fire Forced Evacuation Of South Beach Theater

View Comments
Lauren-Pastrana-600x450 Lauren Pastrana
Lauren Pastrana joined CBS Miami in April 2012 as a reporter. Sh...
Read More
Healthwatch

MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) – A fire forced the evacuation of a South Beach movie theater Wednesday night.

The Regal Cinemas South Beach 18 on Lincoln Rd. was closed after witnesses said a popcorn machine caught fire at the second floor concession stand.

Alarms sounded inside the theater, prompting movie-goers to exit.

Javier Garcon said he thought it was a test at first.

He was watching “Captain America” when ushers told everyone to exit immediately.

“We all started getting up,” Garcon said. “We didn’t start trampling anybody. We all went in a single file line. It was pretty good. We didn’t go nuts in there.”

Garcon said he was promised a refund.

People gathered outside after the evacuation trying to figure out exactly what happened and what to do next.

Visitors who arrived hours later found he movie they planned to watch was cancelled.

“I found the doors closed and I heard there was a fire in the popcorn machine,” Daniel Bermudez said.

The Miami Beach Fire Department was called to the scene and investigators are working to determine exactly how the fire started.

It appears no one was hurt.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 13,798 other followers