cbs4 My 33 Header Logo

Local

Burned Dog & Owner Continue Recovery Together At Home

View Comments
Ruby, after she was accidentally burned in a freak accident in Parkland. (Source: CBS4)

Ruby, after she was accidentally burned in a freak accident in Parkland. (Source: CBS4)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Top Features

PARKLAND (CBSMiami) – A South Florida dog, badly burned in a freak accident three weeks ago, is finally home with his owner who was also hurt in the fire.

It all started on February 11th when Telma Botcherby treated her family dog Ruby with flea and tick spray.

When Telma spotted a live tick on the floor, she tried to burn it with a lighter but Ruby got scared and jumped across the lighter’s flame which set the dog on fire.

Telma’s husband, Jesus “Jess” Olivas grabbed the burning dog and jumped into the backyard pool.

Jess received second degree burns to roughly 25-percent of his body, mainly on his forearms, chest, and face.

Ruby, an 8-year-old terrier, suffered burns to more than 50-percent of her body, mostly to her abdomen and inside of her back legs.

Ruby had been recovering at a Margate veterinary clinic but according to the Sun Sentinel, was picked up on Thursday to continue her recovery at home.

Olivas had been hospitalized at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami following the accident.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,473 other followers