Dolphins

Report: Fins Wanted Martin Back, Agents Rejected Idea

View Comments
Jonathan Martin #71 of the Miami Dolphins warms up prior to the rookie minicamp on May 4, 2012 at the Miami Dolphins training facility in Davie, Florida. (Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)

Jonathan Martin #71 of the Miami Dolphins warms up prior to the rookie minicamp on May 4, 2012 at the Miami Dolphins training facility in Davie, Florida. (Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)

Miami Dolphins
Upcoming Games

Buy Dolphins Tickets Full Schedule
Sunday Dec 7
vs. Ravens
Sunday Dec 21
vs. Vikings
Sunday Dec 28
vs. Jets
Dolphins Central
Shop for Dolphins Gear NFL Scoreboard NFL Standings Team STATS Team Schedule Team Roster Team Injuries
Miami Dolphins

DAVIE (CBSMiami) – At this point fans might think the Miami Dolphins have had enough of Jonathan Martin, but that’s not the case according to CBSSports.com’s Jason LaCanfora.

According to the CBSSports.com report, Martin’s agents met with Dolphins vice-president of football operations Dawn Aponte, general manager Dennis Hickey, and coach Joe Philbin and the team expressed interest in bring Martin back to the team.

However, according to the report, Martin’s agents told the team that he was not comfortable returning to the team.

LaCanfora reported Hickey did most of the talking from the Dolphins side and Philbin was “staring daggers” across the room. LaCanfora’s reported that at the end of the meeting, Philbin said Martin’s agents were responsible for the locker room controversy and that the agents were the real problem.

Bringing Martin back to the team would have been a tricky scenario for the Dolphins. Former Dolphins left tackle Bryant McKinnie said fellow players would be worried about what they could and could not say around Martin in the locker room.

In addition, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said earlier in the offseason that neither Martin nor Incognito would likely be brought back to the team.

With Martin’s agents now reportedly telling the team he’s not interested in coming back, the Dolphins are in a no-win situation. The team would likely trade him, but no team is going to give up anything of value because it’s believed that he will eventually be cut anyways.

If the Fins release Martin, they get nothing in return for a player they used a second-round pick on just a couple of seasons ago. But, it might finally clear the air in the locker room with both Martin and Incognito off the team.

Regardless of what happens; Miami is in desperate need of quality offensive linemen. The team is still awaiting punishment from the NFL for the Ted Wells report which could be anything from a fine to a loss of draft picks.

It’s possible center Mike Pouncey will be lost for part of the season due to a suspension for his role in the harassment scandal. If that comes to fruition, the Dolphins will likely start the 2014 season with five new offensive linemen in front of Ryan Tannehill.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,602 other followers