California Company Recalls 8.7 Million Pounds Of Meat
PETALUMA, Calif. (CBSMiami/AP) — Have some uncooked meat in the fridge? May want to check where it’s from before you cook it as one California-based company is recalling millions of pounds of meat.
Rancho Feeding Corp, from Northern California, is recalling more than 8.7 million pounds of meat products because it processed diseased animals without a full federal inspection.
The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service said Saturday that without the full inspection, Rancho Feeding Corp.’s recalled products are unfit for human consumption.
The items were produced Jan. 1-7 and shipped to distribution centers and retail stores in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas. They include beef carcasses, oxtail, liver, cheeks, tripe and tongue.
Last month, Rancho Feeding Corp. recalled more than 40,000 pounds of meat products produced on Jan. 8 that did not undergo a full federal inspection.
The following Rancho Feeding Corporation products are subject to recall:
- “Beef Carcasses” (wholesale and custom sales only)
- 2 per box “Beef (Market) Heads” (retail only)
- 4-gallons per box “Beef Blood” (wholesale only)
- 20-lb. boxes of “Beef Oxtail”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Cheeks”
- 30-lb. boxes of ” Beef Lips”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Omasum”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripas”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Mountain Oysters”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Sweet Breads”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Liver”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripe”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tongue”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Veal Cuts”
- 40-lb. boxes of “Veal Bones”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Feet”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Hearts”
- 60-lb. boxes of “Veal Trim”
Officials said Beef carcasses and boxes bear the establishment number “EST. 527″ inside the USDA mark of inspection. Each box bears the case code number ending in “3” or “4.” The products were produced Jan. 1, 2013 through Jan. 7, 2014 and shipped to distribution centers and retail establishments in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas.there have been no reports of illnesses.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)