MLS To Make Announcement On Miami Expansion In February
MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber said Thursday he would probably make and announcement concerning their potential expansion franchise in Miami and David Beckham in early February, according to mlssoccer.com.
The announcement comes a little less than a week after Beckham along with his investors made another move to establish a Major League Soccer franchise in Miami by hiring a Tallahassee lobbyist.
According to our news partners the Miami Herald, lobbyist Brian Ballard was hired to help the group who plans to seek state funding for a Downtown Miami stadium.
Ballard will work on behalf Miami Beckham United to seek a state sales tax subsidy similar to what other professional sports teams across the state get.
“We’ve been retained to make sure that Miami Major League Soccer is treated like every other professional sports team in the state,” Ballard told the Miami Herald on Friday.
Ballard would not specify how much the group would request.
Last month, Beckham won unanimous approval from Miami-Dade County commissioners to start negotiation with Mayor Carlos Gimenez over potential stadium sites under the condition the group does not ask for local money.
According to the paper, talks have not formally begun.